Employment with our youth outreach program
Peer Outreach Worker
Do you have experience with homelessness or other issues facing local teens? We hire Peer Outreach Workers regularly and are always accepting applications! AYA’s Peer Outreach Worker Education and Referral (POWER) program offers training to teens providing them with the skills to do street outreach, conduct prevention-based presentations to their peers, and staff the free midtown POWER Teen Center.
Ideal candidate is 15-19 years old.
Must have a genuine commitment to better inform the youth of Anchorage.
Must be able to cope/handle with conflict appropriately.
Must be working toward goals relating to education, employment, and independence.
FUNCTIONS: Facilitate educational presentations on topics concerning family planning methods, HIV/AIDS, preventing unintended pregnancy, STI’s, emotional health concerns, communication skills, addiction, job training, and other topics relevant to Anchorage youth. Will be responsible for office duties and street outreach.
- Ability to listen and be non-judgmental
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences
- Ability to establish effective relationships with other teens
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and positive rapport
- Ability to identify with diverse populations of teens
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills
- Ability to read, write, and speak clearly
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Record interactions on appropriate forms
- Research various topics that affect teenagers
- Develop creative ways of presenting the materials
- Design materials to be used in presentations
- Maintain the cleanliness of the POWER Teen Center
- Facilitate group presentations
- Provide feedback and input to fellow employees and staff
- Attend and participate in all scheduled meetings
You can apply in person at 704 W 26th Ave during drop in hours (Mon-Thu 1pm-5pm), or complete our online application here:
Once you complete the application you can drop it off in person or email it to email@example.com.
We need caring adults to serve as friendly adult presences in our Teen Drop-in Center. Adults assist our Peer Outreach Workers (POW’s) in ensuring the safety and wellbeing of youth in our center.
If you are interested in mentoring young people by sharing a skill (cooking, crocheting, automotive repair, personal finance, etc), please check out our volunteer application process. Applicants must be at least 21 years old and be able to pass a background check, and complete some minimal training. Volunteer times will generally be Monday-Thursday, 1 – 5 pm, with some flexibility for special trainings. This need is ongoing.